Friday, September 3, 2010

P90X-treme!

My husband and I started doing the P90X workout last Monday. 

I am pretty sure the X stands for "extreme" and that sums it up pretty well.  The P90X is a 12 week at home workout system designed to subject the body to lots of "muscle confusion" by going through a wide variety of daily workouts.


I wanted to do the "lean" program which has more cardio and less weight lifting, and my husband kindly agreed.  It still kicks butt.  We stick to the same schedule for 3 weeks then we move onto a new daily routine.  Right now this is our schedule:

Monday: Core Synergistics (lots of abs and back exercises)
Tuesday: Cardio X
Wednesday: Biceps, Triceps, and Abs
Thursday: Yoga X
Friday: Legs and Shoulders (think pull ups and lunges. over and over again)
Saturday: Kenpo (martial arts)
Sunday: Stretch (or rest) day

In addition to this I have tried to keep up my other regular workouts; an hour of Pilate's 2 or 3 times a week, cardio via the elliptical (although I am doing much less of it, like 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week), and a walk or two a week (as I am training for a half marathon that is coming up October 2). 

You would think I would be fit as a fiddle, but I still feel very challenged.  If I have learned anything from 2 weeks of the P90X it's that it is really good to mix up your workouts once in a while and work ALL your muscles, not just the same ones over and over again. 

That being said, my least favorite workout is the Friday one.  I am not a fan of lunges or pull-ups!  In fact I haven't even tried to do the pull-ups yet.  I just do abs while my husband is using the pull-up bar. 

We are going out of town for a few days so we will be missing  Saturday and Monday's workouts.  I plan to get some walks in while we are gone. 

Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I'm seen people talk about this....but haven't met anyone that's doing it.

    Sounds HARD! Is it a video or something?

    A half marathon? You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see all these new muscles on you and Mickey next week I'm probably going to want to do it, too :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny I am starting that exact same program today!!!! Maybe we can encourage each other! I start Core Synergistics today and my PX90 buddy is starting hers tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow girl! You must be in terrific shape! I've heard so much about that P90X!

    ReplyDelete