Thursday, August 2, 2012

CrossFit

I started CrossFit in April.

Don't know what CrossFit is?  Here is a description I pulled from Wikipedia:

"CrossFit describes its strength and conditioning program as “constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement," with the stated goal of improving fitness (and therefore general physical preparedness), which it defines as "work capacity across broad time and modal domains."Workouts are typically short—20 minutes or less—and intense, demanding all-out physical exertion. They combine movements such as sprintingrowingjumping rope, climbing rope, weightlifting, and carrying odd objects; they use barbellsdumbbellsgymnastics ringspull-up barskettlebellsmedicine balls, and many bodyweight exercises.These elements are mixed in numerous combinations to form prescribed "Workouts of the Day" or "WODs". Hour-long classes at affiliated gyms, or "boxes," typically include a warm-up, a skill development segment, the high-intensity WOD, and a period of individual or group stretching. Performance on each WOD is often scored and/or ranked to encourage competition and to track individual progress. Some affiliates offer additional classes, such as Olympic weightlifting, which are not centered around a WOD."


I have to say this style of working out was quite a change for me and I didn't love it right away.  I wasn't sure if I would keep doing it once I finished the beginners camp.

I would bet there are many people who have started CrossFit but have decided it wasn't for them after a week or two.

Please, if you are interested in trying CrossFit, give it a couple months!  Do a beginner's camp!  Take it slow, but keep going.

It grows on you.

You will love it.

The people are awesome and everyone is supportive. Doesn't matter where you are at, how strong you are, how "buff" or "toned" you think you look.

Go.

You'll figure it out.  You'll make friends.  You will start to feel so strong and so proud of what you can do.  What you maybe thought you couldn't do.

And before long you'll know what it means when the board says TABITA or AMRAP or EMOM.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NoFlNa6B9fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


3 comments:

  1. Interesting.

    I noticed a crossfit gym near my apartment. I might check it out this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely something to think about for the off season! Very inspiring the way you talk about it and seem to have so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very tempting so close to my work, I would have to get up at 3:30 to make the 5:30 and that just makes me shudder.

    ReplyDelete